Launchpad is an easy way to find and open apps on your Mac. You can even arrange and organize your apps into folders.
Open an app
Click the Launchpad icon in the Dock, or pinch closed your thumb and three fingers on your trackpad. Then click an app to open it.
You can also type an app's name to find the app in Launchpad, then press the Return key to open it.
To close Launchpad without opening an app, click the background, or pinch open your thumb and three fingers.
- Arrange apps: Drag an app to a new location.
- Create a folder: Drag an app onto another app.
- Close a folder: Click outside the folder.
- Rename a folder: Open a folder and click its name. Then enter a new name.
Add an app
Apps appear in Launchpad when you download them from the Mac App Store.
To add an app to Launchpad that you downloaded outside of the Mac App Store, just move the app to your Applications folder.
Delete an app
- Click the Launchpad icon in the Dock, or pinch closed your thumb and three fingers on your trackpad.
- Press and hold the Option key.
- Click next to the app that you want to permanently and immediately delete from your Mac, then click Delete.
If you don't see next to the app that you want to delete, the app either didn't come from the Mac App Store or is required by your Mac. To delete an app that didn't come from the Mac App Store, delete it from your Applications folder in Finder:
- To open your main Applications folder, choose Go > Applications from the menu bar.
- To open the Applications folder in your Home folder, choose Go > Home, then double-click Applications.
- Select the app that you want to delete from your Mac.
- Drag the app to the Trash, or choose File > Move to Trash.