Before you can buy anything from the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store, or join Apple Music, you need an Apple ID1. When you create an Apple ID to make purchases or start a membership, you need to provide a payment method.
The available payment methods vary by country. You can typically use these methods:
- Credit cards
- Debit cards
- Content codes
- Store credit, including iTunes or Apple Music Gift Cards
- PayPal (requires a credit card as a linked method of payment)
- Alipay (requires Alipay account for setup)
- China UnionPay (requires SMS PIN for setup)
- Mobile phone billing (through supported carriers)
- Bank Cards (China only)2
1 Store availability may vary across countries. Learn which stores are available in your country.
2Bank Cards (China only) refers to China bank-issued debit cards for use in China only. In other countries, debit cards issued by local banks might be accepted, and can be used as payment methods where available.
Payment methods for Family Sharing
If you're using Family Sharing and you're the family organizer, you can use the following payment methods:
- Credit cards
- Debit cards
- China UnionPay
- Mobile phone billing
You can also create an account for a child under 132 using these payment methods, with the exception of mobile phone billing. (You can only create a child account with a post-paid mobile phone billing account.) After you create the child’s Apple ID, you can change your payment method to a different method, such as a China UnionPay debit card or a pre-paid mobile phone billing account.
See your payment options
You might be able to use other payment types in your country. You can see all accepted payment methods on your Account Information page in iTunes.
To automatically open iTunes and sign in to your Account Information page from your computer, click this link: View My Account. Or follow these steps:
- Open iTunes.
- If you’re not signed in, sign in with your Apple ID.
- From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or at the top of the iTunes window, choose Account > View My Account.
- Enter your password, then press the Return or Enter key on your keyboard, or click View Account.
On the Account Information page:
- To the right of Payment Type, click Edit.
- On the Edit Payment Information page, you'll see the accepted payment types.
If you don't have an Apple ID that you use to make iTunes Store purchases, you will see these accepted payment options when you set up a new account. You’ll need to add a payment method when you first use your Apple ID to sign in to the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store. But you can optionally remove the payment method after you sign in to the store. You won't be asked for a payment method again until you make your first purchase.
In countries where the iTunes Store only sells apps, the accepted payment methods are Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. Other payment types such as gift cards, store credit, and PayPal aren't accepted. Depending on your App Store country, prices might be listed in your local currency, US Dollars, or Euros.
2Age varies by country or region.