When you use the Camera Connector—with an iPad—or Camera Adapter—with an iPad or iPhone—with a USB device other than a digital camera, an app might close or otherwise behave unexpectedly. Or you might see one of these messages:
- "The attached volume appears to be invalid"
- "Accessory Unavailable: The attached accessory uses too much power"
- "The attached USB device is not supported"
The Camera Connector and Camera Adapter work with digital cameras that use the Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) or USB Mass Storage Device protocol. You might be able to use some USB audio/MIDI devices with these adapters, too. To find out, contact the device manufacturer.
If you can't connect a digital camera or supported USB audio/MIDI device, follow these steps:
- Unplug the Camera Connector or Camera Adapter from your iOS device.
- Unplug any USB devices connected to the Camera Connector or Camera Adapter.
- Restart your iOS device.
- Plug in the Camera Connector or Camera Adapter and try to connect the digital camera or USB audio/MIDI device again.
If you see a power alert or your iOS device still doesn't detect your accessory, you might need to connect your USB device through a powered USB hub.
You shouldn't use the Camera Connector or Camera Adapter with other USB devices, such as keyboards or flash drives.