Use your iOS device to check its storage
Tap Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage.
You'll see a list of your apps, and how much storage each one uses. Tap an app for more detailed information about its usage.
Depending on the app, you might be able to delete some of its content, or delete the app and all of its content. If your device is almost full, or you get a Storage Almost Full alert, remove some less-used content.
Use iTunes to check the storage on your iOS device
- Open iTunes on your computer.
- Connect your device to your computer.
- In iTunes, select your device. You'll see a bar that shows how much storage your iOS content uses, divided by content type.
- Hover your mouse over a content type, like Other or Apps, to find more information:
Here is a list of the types of content on your iOS device, and what each type includes:
- Audio: Songs, audio podcasts, audiobooks, voice memos, and ringtones
- Video: Movies, music videos, and TV shows
- Photos: Camera Roll content, Photo Stream, and Photo Library
- Apps: Installed apps
- Books: iBooks books and PDF files
- Documents & Data: Safari Offline Reading List, files created within apps, and app content like contacts, calendars, messages, and emails (and their attachments)
- Other: Settings, Siri voices, system data, and cached files
More about cached files in "Other" iOS storage
Cached files are created when streaming or viewing content like music, videos, and photos. When you stream music or video, that content is stored as cached files on your iOS device. iTunes categorizes cached music, videos, and photos as Other instead of actual songs, videos, or photos.
If storage amounts on an iOS device differ from what you see reported in iTunes
Since iTunes categorizes cached files as Other, reported usage for Music or Videos might differ. To view usage on your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage.
If you want to delete the cached files from your iOS device
Your iOS device automatically deletes cached files when it needs more space. You don't need to delete them yourself.
- To reduce the size of your Photo library, turn on iCloud Photo Library and optimize your device storage.
- Learn about storage capacity on OS X and iOS.