In these situations, you might need to use recovery mode to restore your device:
- iTunes doesn't recognize your device or says it's in recovery mode.
- If your screen is stuck on the Apple logo for several minutes with no progress bar.
- You see the recovery mode screen.
Learn what to do if you see the progress bar on your screen for several minutes.
Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again
- Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
- If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
- While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps, but don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo, wait until the recovery mode screen appears:
- iPad models with Face ID: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Press and hold the Top button until your device begins to restart. Continue holding the Top button until your device goes into recovery mode.
- iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery mode screen.
- iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPod touch (7th generation): Press and hold the Top (or Side) and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery mode screen.
- iPad with Home button, iPhone 6s or earlier, and iPod touch (6th generation) or earlier: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery mode screen.
- Locate your device on your computer. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the recovery mode screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.
- After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.
Get more help
If you can’t update or restore your device with recovery mode, or you can't use recovery mode because of broken buttons, contact Apple Support.