Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to factory settings
A factory restore erases the information and settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod and installs the latest iOS or iPod software.
Restore your device to factory settings
- Open iTunes on your Mac or PC. If you can't access a computer and your device still works, you can erase and restore your device without a computer.
- Connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to your computer with the cable that came with your device.
- If a message asks for your device passcode or to Trust This Computer, follow the onscreen steps. If you forgot your passcode, get help.
- Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod when it appears in iTunes. For an unresponsive device or one that won't turn on, learn what to do. Or get help if your device doesn't appear in iTunes.
- In the Summary panel, click Restore [device].
- Click Restore again to confirm. Then iTunes erases your device and installs the latest iOS or iPod software.
- After your device restores to factory settings, it restarts. Now you can set it up as new.