How to take a Live Photo
- Open the Camera app.
- Make sure that your camera is set to photo mode and that Live Photos is turned on. When it's on, you see the Live Photos button at the top of your camera.
- Hold your device* still.
- Tap the shutter button .
Live Photos is on by default. You can turn Live Photos off temporarily or permanently.
How to find and play your Live Photos
- Open the Photos app.
- Tap the Albums tab.
- Scroll down to Media Types and tap Live Photos.
- Tap one of the photos to open it.
- Press and hold the screen to play the Live Photo.
How to change the key photo
- Open the Live Photo and tap Edit.
- Tap the Live Photos button .
- Move the slider to change the frame.
- Release your finger, then tap Make Key Photo.
- Tap Done.
You can also toggle the Live Photo effect between off and on. When you're editing a Live Photo, tap the LIVE button at the top of the screen to turn Live Photo off or back on.
How to add Live Photo effects
- Open the Live Photo.
- Tap the Live Photos button near the top of the screen.
- Choose Loop, Bounce, or Long Exposure.
Loop: Turn a Live Photo you love into a video loop. Choose an image yourself, or look in the For You tab to see photos that would make great loops.
Bounce: Make your Live Photo rock back and forth. Watch your Live Photo as it happened, then it instantly plays in reverse.
Long Exposure: Capture the elements of time and movement. Create a beautiful effect that used to be possible only with a DSLR camera. Fireworks become bright streaks across the night sky. A waterfall becomes a magical blur.
How to edit Live Photos
- Open the Photos app and tap the Albums tab.
- Go to Live Photos under Media Types.
- Tap the Live Photo that you want to edit.
- Tap Edit, then make your adjustments.
- Tap Done.
If you edit your Live Photo in a third-party app, you might lose any Live Photo effects that you've applied.
How to share your Live Photos
- Open the photo that you want to share, then tap the Share button .
- If you want to share the still photo and not the Live Photo, tap Live in the upper-left corner of the photo.
- Choose how you want to share your photo. Note that if you share via Mail, the Live Photo is sent as a still image.
When you receive a Live Photo on your iPhone or iPad via Messages, tap the photo to open it, then firmly press and hold to see it come to life.
If you're using Messages on your Mac, double-click the Live Photo to open it. The Live Photo plays through once. To play it again, click the LIVE button in the bottom-left corner of the photo.
How to turn off Live Photos
From the Camera app, tap the Live Photos button to turn off Live Photos. A slash through the Live Photos button means that the feature is off.
The Camera app turns Live Photos on again automatically. To keep Live Photos off permanently, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Camera > Preserve Settings.
- Make sure that the switch next to Live Photo is turned on.
* You can take Live Photos on iPhone 6s and later, iPad (5th generation) and later, iPad Air (3rd generation) and later, iPad mini (5th generation) and later, and iPad Pro models from 2016 or later.