Open Mission Control
- Swipe up with three or four fingers on your trackpad, or double-tap the surface of your Magic Mouse with two fingers.
- Open the Mission Control app, which is in your Applications folder.
- Press the Mission Control key on your Apple keyboard or Touch Bar.
Add spaces and switch between them
The Spaces bar at the top of the Mission Control window contains thumbnails of each desktop space and each window that is in full screen or Split View.
To add a space, move your pointer to the Spaces bar, then click the add button on the right:
When you have multiple spaces, you can switch between them by clicking the thumbnails the top of the Mission Control window. Or use these methods, which work even when you're not in Mission Control:
- Swipe left or right with three or four fingers on your trackpad, or swipe left or right with two fingers on your Magic Mouse.
- Press Control–Right Arrow or Control–Left Arrow on your keyboard.
Move windows to spaces
When you have more than one space, you can move windows to and from each space. Just drag the window onto the other space's thumbnail in the Spaces bar.
If you drag a window onto an empty area of the Spaces bar, that window opens in full screen in its own new space:
If you drag a window onto the thumbnail of a full-screen app, that window joins the other window in Split View:
Move or remove spaces
To move a space, drag its thumbnail to the left or right of another space in the Spaces bar.
To remove a space, press and hold the Option key, then click or next to the space's thumbnail in the Spaces bar. Any windows in that space then automatically move to your first desktop space.