Pages User Guide for Mac
- Intro to Pages
- Word-processing or page layout?
- Intro to images, charts, and other objects
- Find a document
- Open or close a document
- Save and name a document
- Print a document or envelope
- Create a document using VoiceOver
- Select text and place the insertion point
- Add and replace text
- Copy and paste text
- Use dictation to enter text
- Accents and special characters
- Add the date and time
- Add mathematical equations
- Bookmarks and links
- Add links
- Change the font or font size
- Set a default font
- Bold, italic, underline, and strikethrough
- Change the color of text
- Add a shadow or outline to text
- Change text capitalization
- Copy and paste text styles
- Add a highlight effect to text
- Format hyphens, dashes, and quotation marks
- Set paper size and orientation
- Set document margins
- Set up facing pages
- Add, rearrange, and delete pages
- Page templates
- Add page numbers
- Change the page background
- Add a border around a page
- Add watermarks and background objects
- Create a custom template
- Add lines and arrows
- Animate, share, or save drawings
- Set movie and image formats
- Change the transparency of an object
- Fill shapes and text boxes with color or an image
- Add a border to an object
- Add a caption or title
- Add a reflection or shadow
- Use object styles
- Resize, rotate, and flip objects
- Add or delete a table
- Select tables, cells, rows, and columns
- Merge or unmerge table cells
- Resize, move, or lock a table
- Use iCloud Drive with Pages
- Export to Word, PDF, or another file format
- Open an iBooks Author book in Pages
- Reduce the document file size
- Save a large document as a package file
- Restore an earlier version of a document
- Move a document
- Delete a document
- Lock a document
- Password-protect a document
- Create and manage custom templates
Customize the toolbar in Pages on Mac
The toolbar at the top of the Pages window gives you quick access to the controls you need as you work in Pages. As you discover which controls you use most, you can add, remove, and rearrange toolbar buttons to suit your work style.
Pages (like other apps) has a menu bar above the Pages window, at the top of the computer screen. Some menu bar items and toolbar buttons have the same name (for example, Insert, View, and Format), but they don’t offer all the same options.
Hide or show the toolbar
In the View menu at the top of your screen, choose Hide Toolbar or Show Toolbar.
Add, remove, or rearrange toolbar buttons
Choose View > Customize Toolbar (from the View menu at the top of your screen, not from the View button in the toolbar).
Do any of the following:
Add or remove items from the toolbar: Drag an item to the toolbar to add it. Drag an item away from the toolbar to remove it.
Rearrange items in the toolbar: Drag an item to reorder it.
The Format and Document buttons move together and can’t be separated.
Reset the toolbar: To restore the toolbar to the default setting, drag the set of buttons at the bottom of the window to the toolbar.
Remove button names: Choose Icon Only from the pop-up menu at the bottom of the window. By default, buttons are shown with their names.