Use your remote to enter text on your Apple TV
To enter text, you can use the Siri Remote or Apple Remote1 that came with your Apple TV. If you aren't sure how to use your remote, learn how.
- With your remote, select a text field on your Apple TV.
- Wait for an onscreen keyboard to appear, then select the keyboard option that you want to use. For example, select "ABC" for an uppercase keyboard or "abc" for a lowercase keyboard.
To enter a character, use your remote to highlight the character onscreen, then select it. To delete the character you entered, select .
Want to quickly switch between different types of keyboards, like uppercase and lowercase? Just press Play/Pause on your remote. If you have an Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, this shortcut switches between uppercase and lowercase keyboards only.
Use your voice to enter text on your Apple TV
On Apple TV, you can use dictation2 if you set your system language to one of the following:
- Norwegian Bokmål
Here's how to enter text by speaking:
- Select a text field on your Apple TV.
- Press and hold Siri on your remote.
- Speak to enter text, then let go of Siri . Here are some tips:
- For user names and passwords,3 spell out each letter or character. For example, to enter Johnny@iCloud.com, say, "J-O-H-N-N-Y at iCloud dot com."
- To specify a capital letter, say, "uppercase." For example, to enter janE, say, "J-A-N uppercase E."
- To erase the text that you just entered, say, "Clear."
Use a nearby iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to enter text on your Apple TV
On Apple TV, you can use a feature called Apple TV Keyboard to quickly enter text on your Apple TV with a nearby iOS or iPadOS device. Here's how:
- Select a text field on your Apple TV. Then wait for a notification to appear on your nearby iOS or iPadOS device.
- Open the notification to begin typing with your device's onscreen keyboard.
If the notification doesn't appear on your device:
- Check that you're signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID on your Apple TV and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- On your Apple TV and iOS or iPadOS device, make sure that Wi-Fi is on.
- On your iOS or iPadOS device, check that Bluetooth is on.
To turn off this feature on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Notifications > Apple TV Keyboard.
Learn how to use a Bluetooth keyboard to enter text on your Apple TV.
- Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD ships with the same remote everywhere. In countries and regions that support Siri, the remote is called Siri Remote. Elsewhere, it’s called Apple TV Remote. Siri works on either remote as long as your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD is set up with a language and country or region that supports Siri.
- Dictation might not be compatible with all apps.
- Siri and Dictation send information, such as voice input and location, to Apple to process requests. Voice input from spelling dictation of user names and passwords won't be sent.