iPhone User Guide
- Supported models
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone X
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (3rd generation)
- iPhone 14
- iPhone 14 Plus
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14 Pro Max
- What’s new in iOS 16
- Turn on and set up iPhone
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Use Dual SIM
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Multitask with Picture in Picture
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- View activities in the Dynamic Island
- Perform quick actions
- Search from the Home Screen or Lock Screen
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPhone
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPhone
- Change sounds and vibrations
- Personalize your iPhone Lock Screen
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Keep the iPhone display on longer
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPhone
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Adjust the shutter volume
- Adjust HDR camera settings
- Record videos
- Record ProRes videos
- Record video in Cinematic mode
- Change video recording settings
- Save camera settings
- Change advanced camera settings
- View, share, and print photos
- Use Live Text
- Scan a QR code
- Set up FaceTime
- Make and receive calls
- Create a FaceTime link
- Take a Live Photo
- Turn on Live Captions in a FaceTime call
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Hand off a FaceTime call to another device
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- Intro to Fitness
- Track daily activity
- See your activity history, trends, and awards
- Connect a third-party workout app
- Customize activity notifications
- Share your activity
- Intro to Health
- Fill out your Health Details
- Monitor your walking steadiness
- Register as an organ donor
- Back up your Health data
- Check your email
- Set email notifications
- Search for email
- Organize email in mailboxes
- Change email settings
- Delete and recover emails
- Add a Mail widget to your Home Screen
- Print emails
- View maps
- Search for places
- Find nearby attractions, restaurants, and services
- Get information about places
- Mark places
- Share places
- Rate places
- Save favorite places
- Explore new places with Guides
- Organize places in My Guides
- Get traffic and weather info
- Delete significant locations
- Quickly find your Maps settings
- Use Siri, Maps, and the Maps widget to get directions
- Select other route options
- Set up electric vehicle routing
- Get driving directions
- Get directions to your parked car
- Report traffic incidents in Maps on iPhone
- Get cycling directions
- Get walking directions
- Get transit directions
- Delete recent directions
- Get rides
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Unsend and edit messages
- Keep track of messages and conversations
- Start a group conversation
- Add photos and videos
- Send and receive content
- Watch, listen, or play together using SharePlay
- Collaborate on projects
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send, receive, and request money with Apple Cash
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Listen to music with Apple Music Voice
- Change the way music sounds
- Get started with News
- Use News widgets
- See news stories chosen just for you
- Read stories
- Follow your favorite teams with My Sports
- Listen to Apple News Today
- Search for news stories
- Save news stories for later
- Subscribe to news channels
- View photos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete or hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Cinematic mode videos
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Use photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos and videos in albums
- Duplicate and copy photos and videos
- Find and delete duplicate photos and videos
- Search for Photos
- Find and identify people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Use Live Text to interact with content in a photo or video
- Use Visual Look Up to identify objects in your photos
- Lift a subject from the photo background
- Watch memories
- Personalize your memories
- Manage memories and featured photos
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Browse the web
- Customize your Safari settings
- Change the layout
- Search for websites
- Bookmark favorite webpages
- Save pages to a Reading List
- Find links shared with you
- Annotate and save a webpage as a PDF
- Automatically fill in forms
- Get extensions
- Hide ads and distractions
- Keep cards and passes in Wallet
- Set up Apple Pay
- Use Apple Pay for contactless payments
- Use Apple Pay in apps, App Clips, and Safari
- Use Apple Cash
- Use Apple Card
- Manage payment cards and activity
- Pay for transit
- Use digital keys
- Use your driver’s license or state ID
- Use student ID cards
- Apple Account Card
- Add and use passes
- Manage passes
- Use COVID-19 vaccination cards
- Charging cable
- Power adapters
- MagSafe chargers and battery packs
- MagSafe cases and sleeves
- Qi-certified wireless chargers
- Apple Watch
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Share your internet connection
- Allow phone calls on your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac
- Use iPhone as a webcam
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPhone and other devices
- Connect iPhone and your computer with a cable
- Intro to transferring files
- Transfer files with email, messages, or AirDrop
- Automatically keep files up to date with iCloud
- Transfer files with an external storage device
- Use a file server to share files between your iPhone and computer
- Share files with a cloud storage service
- Sync content or transfer files with the Finder or iTunes
- Intro to CarPlay
- Connect to CarPlay
- Use Siri
- Use your vehicle’s built-in controls
- Get turn-by-turn directions
- Report traffic incidents
- Change the map view
- Make phone calls
- Play music
- View your calendar
- Send and receive text messages
- Announce incoming text messages
- Play podcasts
- Play audiobooks
- Listen to news stories
- Control your home
- Use other apps with CarPlay
- Rearrange icons on CarPlay Home
- Change settings in CarPlay
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPhone using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Sign in with passkeys
- Sign in with Apple
- Automatically fill in strong passwords
- Change weak or compromised passwords
- View your passwords and related information
- Share passkeys and passwords securely with AirDrop
- Make your passkeys and passwords available on all your devices
- Automatically fill in verification codes
- Automatically fill in SMS passcodes
- Sign in with fewer CAPTCHA challenges on iPhone
- Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
- Create and manage Hide My Email addresses
- Protect your web browsing with iCloud Private Relay
- Lockdown Mode
- Use a private network address
Learn the meaning of the iPhone status icons
The icons in the status bar at the top of the screen provide information about iPhone. On an iPhone with Face ID, there are additional status icons at the top of Control Center.
Note: If you turn on a Focus, its icon appears in the status bar.
What it means
Wi-Fi. iPhone is connected to the internet over a Wi-Fi network. See Connect iPhone to a Wi-Fi network.
Cell signal. The number of bars indicates the signal strength of your cellular service. If there’s no signal, “No Service” appears.
Dual cell signals. On models with Dual SIM, the upper row of bars indicates the signal strength of the line you use for cellular data. The lower row of bars indicates the signal strength of your other line. If there’s no signal, “No Service” appears. To see the status icons with their corresponding cellular plan labels and carrier names, open Control Center.
Airplane mode. Airplane mode is on—you can’t make phone calls, and other wireless functions may be disabled. See Choose iPhone settings for travel.
5G. Your carrier’s 5G network is available, and supported models can connect to the internet over that network (not available in all countries or regions). See the Apple Support article Use 5G with your iPhone.
5G UC. Your carrier’s 5G UC network is available, which can include your carrier’s higher frequency version of 5G. Supported models can connect to the internet over that network (not available in all countries or regions). See the Apple Support article Use 5G with your iPhone.
5G+. Your carrier’s 5G+ network is available, which can include your carrier’s higher frequency version of 5G. Supported models can connect to the internet over that network (not available in all countries or regions). See the Apple Support article Use 5G with your iPhone.
5G UW. Your carrier’s 5G UW network is available, which can include your carrier’s higher frequency version of 5G. Supported models can connect to the internet over that network (not available in all countries or regions). See the Apple Support article Use 5G with your iPhone.
5G E. Your carrier’s 5G E network is available, and iPhone can connect to the internet over that network (supported on iPhone 8 and later; not available in all countries or regions). See View or change cellular data settings on iPhone.
LTE. Your carrier’s LTE network is available, and iPhone can connect to the internet over that network (not available in all countries or regions). See View or change cellular data settings on iPhone.
UMTS. Your carrier’s 4G UMTS (GSM) or LTE network (depending on the carrier) is available, and iPhone can connect to the internet over that network (not available in all countries or regions). See View or change cellular data settings on iPhone.
UMTS/EV-DO. Your carrier’s 3G UMTS (GSM) or EV-DO (CDMA) network is available, and iPhone can connect to the internet over that network. See View or change cellular data settings on iPhone.
EDGE. Your carrier’s EDGE (GSM) network is available, and iPhone can connect to the internet over that network. See View or change cellular data settings on iPhone.
GPRS/1xRTT. Your carrier’s GPRS (GSM) or 1xRTT (CDMA) network is available, and iPhone can connect to the internet over that network. See View or change cellular data settings on iPhone.
SOS only. Full service from your cellular provider isn’t available, but emergency calls may be possible through other carrier networks (not available in all countries or regions). See Contact emergency services on your iPhone.
Emergency SOS via satellite. iPhone isn’t connected to a cellular or Wi-Fi network, but you can contact emergency services via satellite. See Use Emergency SOS via satellite on your iPhone.
Wi-Fi calling. iPhone is set up for Wi-Fi calling. iPhone also displays a carrier name next to the icon. See Make calls using Wi-Fi on iPhone.
Personal Hotspot connection. iPhone is connected to the internet through the Personal Hotspot of another device. See Join a Personal Hotspot.
VPN. iPhone is connected to a network using VPN.
Navigation. iPhone is providing turn-by-turn directions. See Get driving directions in Maps on iPhone.
Personal Hotspot. iPhone is providing a Personal Hotspot. See Share your internet connection from iPhone.
Phone call. iPhone is on a phone call. See Make a call on iPhone.
FaceTime. iPhone is on a FaceTime call. See Make and receive FaceTime calls on iPhone.
Screen recording. iPhone is recording your screen. See Take a screenshot or screen recording on iPhone.
Camera in use. An app is using your camera. See iPhone camera basics.
Microphone in use. An app is using your microphone. See Make a basic recording.
Syncing. iPhone is syncing with your computer. See Sync supported content.
Network activity. Shows that there’s network activity. Some third-party apps may also use it to show an active process.
Call forwarding. Call forwarding is set up. See Set up call forwarding and call waiting on iPhone.
Lock. iPhone is locked. See Wake and unlock iPhone.
Do Not Disturb. Do Not Disturb is turned on. See Turn on or schedule a Focus on iPhone.
Portrait orientation lock. The iPhone screen is locked in portrait orientation. See Change or lock the screen orientation on iPhone.
Location services. An app is using Location Services. See Control the location information you share on iPhone.
Alarm. An alarm is set. See Set an alarm on iPhone.
Headphones connected. iPhone is paired with Bluetooth headphones that are turned on and within Bluetooth range. See Set up and listen to Bluetooth headphones.
Battery. Shows the iPhone battery level. When the icon is yellow, Low Power Mode is on. See Monitor the iPhone battery level.
Battery charging. Shows the iPhone battery is charging. See Charge the iPhone battery.
Bluetooth battery. Shows the battery level of a paired Bluetooth device. See Set up and use Bluetooth accessories on iPhone.
AirPlay. AirPlay is on. See Wirelessly stream videos and photos to Apple TV or a smart TV from iPhone.
Voice Control. Voice Control is turned on in Settings > Accessibility. See Use Voice Control to interact with iPhone.
TTY. Software RTT / TTY or Hardware TTY is turned on. See Set up and use RTT and TTY on iPhone.
CarPlay. iPhone is connected to CarPlay. See Connect iPhone to CarPlay.
Siri Eyes Free. You can ask a question or make a request to Siri in your car. See Use Siri in your car.