Launchpad is an easy way to find and open apps on your Mac. You can even arrange and organize your apps into folders.
Open an app
- Click the Launchpad icon in the Dock, or pinch closed with your thumb and three fingers on your trackpad. Then click an app to open it.
- Or type an app's name to find the app in Launchpad, then press the Return key to open it.
- To close Launchpad without opening an app, click the background, press the Esc (Eslcape) key, or pinch open with your thumb and three fingers on your trackpad.
- Arrange apps: Drag an app to a new location.
- Create a folder: Drag an app onto another app.
- Close a folder: Click outside the folder.
- Rename a folder: Open a folder and click its name. Then enter a new name.
Add or remove an app
- Apps that you download from the App Store or that are included with macOS automatically appear in Launchpad. If you download an app from another source, you can add it to Launchpad by moving the app to your Applications folder.
- Learn how to delete an app from your Mac, which also removes the app from Launchpad.