When someone sends you an SMS or MMS message on your iPhone, it appears as a green bubble. iMessages appear as blue bubbles. When you set up Text Message Forwarding, you can send and receive the SMS and MMS messages from your iPhone on any Mac, iPad or iPod touch that meets the Continuity system requirements.
Set up text message forwarding
- On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. On your Mac, open Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click iMessage. Make sure you're signed in to iMessage with the same Apple ID on all of your devices.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding.*
- Choose which devices can send and receive text messages from your iPhone. If you're not using two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, a verification code will appear on each of your other devices. Enter that code on your iPhone.
As long as your iPhone is turned on and connected to Wi-Fi or a mobile network, new SMS/MMS texts can be sent and received on the devices you've added.
iCloud now keeps your entire messages history updated and available on all of your devices – even when you set up a new device. Find out how to keep all of your messages in iCloud.
* Can't see the Text Message Forwarding setting on your iPhone? Go to Settings > Messages, turn off iMessage, turn it back on, tap Send & Receive, tap Use Your Apple ID for iMessage, then sign in with the same Apple ID used on your other devices.
Forward older text messages
- Touch and hold the message bubble that you want to forward, then tap More.
- Select any other text messages that you want to forward.
- Tap Forward and enter a recipient.
- Tap Send .
- Find out more about Messages.
- To forward an SMS/MMS from your iPhone, you need a text-messaging plan. Contact your wireless network provider for more information.
- Find out more about the Continuity features for your Apple devices.