iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (10th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (6th generation)
- What’s new in iPadOS 16
- Turn on and set up iPad
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Turn on Live Captions in a FaceTime call
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch, listen, and play together
- Share your screen
- Hand off a FaceTime call to another device
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- Get started with Freeform
- Create a Freeform board
- Access your Freeform boards on all your devices
- Position items on a board
- Search Freeform boards
- Share and collaborate
- Delete boards
- Intro to Home
- Upgrade to the new Home architecture
- Set up accessories
- Control accessories
- Control your home using Siri
- Configure HomePod
- Control your home remotely
- Create and use scenes
- Create an automation
- Configure cameras
- Face Recognition
- Configure a router
- Share controls with others
- Add more homes
- Check your email
- Set email notifications
- Search for email
- Organize your email in mailboxes
- Change email settings
- Delete and recover emails
- Add a Mail widget to your Home Screen
- Print emails
- Keyboard shortcuts
- View maps
- Use Siri, Maps, and the Maps widget to get directions
- Select other route options
- Get driving directions
- Report traffic incidents
- Get cycling directions
- Get walking directions
- Get transit directions
- Delete recent directions
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Unsend and edit messages
- Keep track of messages and conversations
- Set up a group conversation
- Add photos and video
- Send and receive content
- Watch, listen, or play together using SharePlay
- Collaborate on projects
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send, receive, and request money with Apple Cash
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Listen to music with Apple Music Voice
- Change the way music sounds
- Get started with News
- Use News widgets
- See news stories chosen just for you
- Read stories
- Follow your favorite teams with My Sports
- Download Apple News+ issues
- Search for news stories
- Save news stories for later
- Subscribe to news channels
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete or hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Use photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos and videos in albums
- Duplicate and copy photos and videos
- Merge duplicate photos
- Search in Photos
- Find and identify people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Use Live Text to interact with content in a photo or video
- Use Visual Look Up to identify objects in your photos
- Lift a subject from the photo background
- Watch memories
- Personalize your memories
- Manage memories and featured photos
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Browse the web
- Customize your Safari settings
- Change the layout
- Search for websites
- Bookmark favorite webpages
- Save pages to a Reading List
- Find links shared with you
- Annotate and save a webpage as a PDF
- Automatically fill in forms
- Get extensions
- Hide ads and distractions
- Clear your cache
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Use a keyboard and mouse or trackpad across your Mac and iPad
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Intro to transferring files
- Transfer files with email, messages, or AirDrop
- Automatically keep files up to date with iCloud
- Transfer files with an external storage device
- Use a file server to share files between your iPad and computer
- Share files with a cloud storage service
- Sync content or transfer files with the Finder or iTunes
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Hover Text
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Sign in with passkeys
- Sign in with Apple
- Automatically fill in strong passwords
- Change weak or compromised passwords
- View your passwords and related information
- Share passkeys and passwords securely with AirDrop
- Make your passkeys and passwords available on all your devices
- Automatically fill in verification codes
- Sign in with fewer CAPTCHA challenges on iPad
- Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
- Use security keys
- Create and manage Hide My Email addresses
- Protect your web browsing with iCloud Private Relay
- Use a private network address
- Use Advanced Data Protection
- Lockdown Mode
Play music on iPad
Use Now Playing in the Music app to show lyrics and play, pause, skip, shuffle, and repeat songs. You can also use Now Playing to view album art and choose what plays next in the queue.
Note: Not all features are available in the Apple Music Voice Plan. For more information, see the Apple Support article How to use Apple Music Voice.
Tap the player at the bottom right to show the Now Playing screen, where you can use these controls:
Play the current song.
Skip to the next song. Touch and hold to fast-forward through the current song.
Return to the song’s beginning. Tap again to play the previous song in an album or playlist. Touch and hold to rewind through the current song.
Tap to repeat an album or playlist. Double-tap to repeat a single song.
Tap to play your songs in random order. Tap again to turn off shuffle.
Hide the Now Playing Screen button.
Tap for more options.
Show time-synced lyrics (lyrics not available for all songs).
Stream music to Bluetooth or AirPlay-enabled devices.
Adjust the volume, see song details, and more
The Now Playing screen contains additional options for controlling and accessing music.
Adjust volume: Drag the volume slider.
You can also use the volume buttons on iPad.
Navigate to the artist, album, or playlist: Tap the artist name below the song title, then choose to go to the artist, album, or playlist.
Scrub to any point in a song: Drag the playhead.
See time-synced lyrics
Time-synced lyrics appear for many songs in Apple Music.
Tap the player to open Now Playing, then tap . Lyrics scroll in time with the music.
To hide lyrics, tap .
Tip: Tap a specific lyric—the first line of the chorus, for example—to go to that part of the song.
To see all of a song’s lyrics, tap , then tap View Full Lyrics.
Note: You need an Apple Music subscription to view lyrics.
You can share up to 150 characters of a song’s lyrics if time-synced lyrics are available.
Tap the player to open Now Playing.
Tap , then tap Share Lyrics.
You can also touch and hold a lyrics line to open the sharing screen.
Tap the first and last lyrics you want to share, then choose a sharing option.
Note: You need an Apple Music subscription to share lyrics.
Report a concern
To report a concern about time-synced lyrics, touch and hold a lyrics line, then tap Report a Concern at the bottom of the screen.
Get audio controls from the Lock Screen or when using another app
Open Control Center, then tap the audio card.
Stream music to Bluetooth or AirPlay-enabled devices
Tap the player to open Now Playing.
Tap , then choose a device.
See Play audio on HomePod, Apple TV, or a smart TV.
Note: You can play the same music on multiple AirPlay 2-enabled devices, such as two or more HomePod speakers. You can also pair two sets of AirPods to one iPad and enjoy the same song or movie along with a friend. See Control audio on multiple AirPlay 2-enabled devices in this user guide and Share audio with AirPods and Beats in the AirPods User Guide.