How to get updates for macOS Mojave
If you already upgraded to macOS Mojave, follow these steps to keep it up to date:
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple () menu, then click Software Update to check for updates.
- If any updates are available, click the Update Now button to install them. Or click ”More info” to see details about each update and select specific updates to install.
- When Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, macOS and all of its apps are also up to date. That includes Safari, iTunes, Books, Messages, Mail, Calendar, Photos, and FaceTime.
To automatically install macOS updates in the future, including apps downloaded from the App Store, select ”Automatically keep my Mac up to date.” Your Mac will notify you when updates require it to restart, so you can always choose to install those later.
How to get updates for earlier macOS versions
If you're using an earlier macOS, such as macOS High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, or earlier,* follow these steps to keep it up to date:
- Open the App Store app on your Mac.
- Click Updates in the App Store toolbar.
- Use the Update buttons to download and install any updates listed.
- When the App Store shows no more updates, your version of macOS and all of its apps are up to date. That includes Safari, iTunes, iBooks, Messages, Mail, Calendar, Photos, and FaceTime. Later versions are available by upgrading your macOS.
To automatically download updates in the future, choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, click App Store, then select ”Download newly available updates in the background.” Your Mac will notify you when updates are ready to install.
* If you're using OS X Lion or Snow Leopard, get OS X updates by choosing Software Update from the Apple menu.
How to get updates for iOS
Learn how to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to the latest version of iOS.
- Upgrade to the latest version of macOS.
- Find out which macOS you're using.
- To find updates for iMovie, Garageband, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and other apps that came separately from the App Store, open the App Store on your Mac, then click the Updates tab. You can also redownload apps from the App Store.
- Your Mac doesn't automatically download large updates when it's using a Personal Hotspot.