Receive content with AirDrop
When someone else nearby attempts to send you content using AirDrop, you can choose to decline or accept their request. You'll see this request either in the AirDrop window or as a notification:
The content you receive on your Mac is saved to your Downloads folder.
If you can't see the other device in AirDrop
If a device doesn't appear as an AirDrop recipient, make sure that both devices have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on and are within 30 feet (9 meters) of each other. If that doesn't help, check the following settings on your Mac or iOS device.
- Choose Go > AirDrop from the menu bar in the Finder, then make sure that AirDrop is turned on.
- Check the ”Allow me to be discovered by” setting at the bottom of the AirDrop window. When AirDrop is set to receive content from Contacts Only, both devices must be signed in to iCloud, and the email address or phone number associated with the sender's Apple ID must be in the Contacts app of your Mac.
- If the Mac is from 2012 or earlier, click “Don't see who you're looking for?” in the AirDrop window or sharing sheet of the sharing Mac. Then click “Search for an Older Mac.”
- If the receiving Mac is using OS X Mavericks or earlier, make sure that an AirDrop window is open on that Mac: choose Go > AirDrop from the menu bar in the Finder.
- Make sure that “Block all incoming connections” is turned off in Security & Privacy preferences of the receiving Mac.
On iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- Check the AirDrop setting in Control Center. When AirDrop is set to receive content from Contacts Only, both devices must be signed in to iCloud, and the email address or phone number associated with the sender's Apple ID must be in the Contacts app of your iOS device.
- Make sure that Personal Hotspot turned off in Settings > Cellular of the receiving iOS device.
AirDrop system requirements
To share between a Mac and an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you need any of these devices and operating systems:
- Mac from 2012 or later (excluding the mid-2012 Mac Pro) using OS X Yosemite or later
- iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iOS 7 or later
To share between Mac computers, both computers must be one of these models:
- MacBook Pro from late 2008 or later, excluding the MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2008)
- MacBook Air from late 2010 or later
- MacBook from late 2008 or later, excluding the white MacBook (Late 2008)
- iMac from early 2009 or later
- Mac mini from mid 2010 or later
- Mac Pro from early 2009 (with AirPort Extreme card) or mid 2010
- iMac Pro