Try these steps first
After each step, see if you still need help.
Make sure that your device can connect to the Internet
Check the Outbox for unsent emails
If you see a message that says your email wasn’t sent, then that email is placed in your Outbox. Check your Outbox for any unsent emails and try to send them again.
Check your Outbox for unsent emails:
- In Mail, tap Mailboxes in the upper-left corner. Then scroll down to Accounts.
- Tap your account, then tap Outbox. If you don’t see an Outbox, then your email was sent.
- Tap an email in the Outbox. Check that you entered the recipient’s email address correctly.
- Tap Send to send the email again.
Check that your email account information and settings are correct
If Mail asks you to enter a password for your email account, make sure that the password you enter is correct. Sign in to your email provider's website to verify that your email address and password are correct.
When you set up your email account on your device, iOS automatically uses the correct account settings for many email providers. You can use the Mail Settings Lookup tool to view those settings, or get the settings directly from your email provider or system administrator. Then compare them to what you see entered for your email account.
Check the settings for your email account:
- Go to Settings > Mail > Accounts and tap your email account.
- Tap your email address next to Account to see the account information, such as the incoming and outgoing mail servers.
- Check the recommended settings for your email account in the Mail Settings Lookup tool and verify that they’re the same as what you see on your screen. If you don’t see the settings for your email account, contact your email provider.
If you have a POP3 email account, then you can only check email on one device at a time. Close other email programs and sign out of webmail sites that you have open. To check if your email is a POP3 account, go to Settings > Mail > Accounts, tap your account, and look for the label POP Account Information. You can also check the recommended email settings for your POP3 email account in the Mail Settings Lookup tool.
If your email provider requires your account to use port 25, then you can only send email when you’re connected to your email provider’s network. Check with your email provider for settings and availability.
If you still need help
If you still can't send or receive email, contact your email provider or remove your email account and set it up again.
Contact your email provider or system administrator
- Contact your email provider or check their status webpage to see if they’re experiencing a service outage.
- Ask your email provider or system administrator if you have any security features or restrictions, like two-step verification, turned on for your email account. You may need a special password or need to request authorization from your email provider to send and receive email on your device.
- Check your email account settings with your email provider or system administrator to make sure that they're correct.
Remove your email account and set it up again
If you still have issues with sending and receiving email, try removing your email account from your device and then add it back again:*
- On your computer, sign in to your email provider’s website to verify that all of your email is there or check if your email is saved somewhere other than your iOS device.
- On your iOS device, go to Settings > Mail > Accounts.
- Tap the email account you want to remove.
- Tap Delete Account.
- Add your account again.
*iOS backups made in iCloud and iTunes include a backup of your mail settings, but not your emails. Emails deleted from your iOS device aren’t recoverable from an iCloud or iTunes backup. Learn more about backups in iCloud and iTunes.
- Get help with your @icloud.com email address if you can’t send or receive messages.
- Use mailboxes to organize emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Use email threads, set up filters, and more in the Mail app on your iOS device.
- Use Markup in the Mail app to add drawings, text, your signature, and more to photos and PDFs.