iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- What’s new in iPadOS 15
- Turn on and set up
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- Check your email
- Send email
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Reply to email
- Add attachments
- Work with attachments
- Save an email draft
- Search for email
- Organize your email
- Use Mail Privacy Protection on iPad
- Use Hide My Email
- Flag and filter emails
- Delete and recover emails
- Add a Mail widget to your Home Screen
- Print emails
- View maps
- Search for places
- Find nearby attractions, restaurants, and services
- Get information about places
- Mark places
- Share places
- Rate places
- Save favorite places
- Explore new places with Guides
- Organize places in My Guides
- Get traffic and weather info
- Delete significant locations
- Quickly find your Maps settings
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group or business
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send and receive money with Apple Pay
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Listen to music with Apple Music Voice
- Change the way music sounds
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- View Memories
- Personalize memories
- Find people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Cases and covers
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPad with your computer
- Transfer files between iPad and your computer
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
Take notes on iPad
Use the Notes app to jot down quick thoughts or organize detailed information with checklists, images, web links, scanned documents, handwritten notes, and sketches.
Create and format a new note
Siri: Say something like: “Create a new note.” Learn how to ask Siri.
Or do the following:
Tap , then enter your text.
The first line of the note becomes the note’s title.
To change the formatting, tap .
You can apply a heading style, bold or italic font, a bulleted or numbered list, and more.
To save the note, tap Done.
Tip: To choose a default style for the first line in all new notes, go to Settings > Notes > New Notes Start With.
You can quickly create a note or resume work on your last note by tapping the Lock Screen with Apple Pencil (on supported models). On other iPad models, you can do this if you add Notes to Control Center. To change the Lock Screen behavior, go to Settings > Notes > Access Note from Lock Screen.
Add a checklist
In a note, tap , then do any of the following:
Add items to the list: Enter text, then tap return to enter the next item.
Increase or decrease the indentation: Swipe right or left on the item.
Mark an item as completed: Tap the empty circle next to the item to add a checkmark.
Reorder an item: Touch and hold the empty circle or checkmark next to the item, then drag the item to a new position in the list.
Manage items in the list: Tap the list to see the menu, tap , tap Checklist, then tap Check All, Uncheck All, Delete Checked, or Move Checked to Bottom.
To automatically sort checked items to the bottom in all your notes, go to Settings > Notes > Sort Checked Items, then tap Automatically.
Add or edit a table
In a note, tap , then do any of the following:
Enter text: Tap a cell, then enter your text. To start another line of text in the cell, touch and hold the Shift key and tap next.
Move to the next cell: Tap next. When you reach the last cell, tap next to start a new row.
Format a row or column: Tap a row or column selection handle, then choose a style, such as bold, italic, underline, or strikethrough.
Add or delete a row or column: Tap a row or column selection handle, then choose to add or delete.
Move a row or column: Touch and hold a row or column selection handle, then drag it to a new position.
See more columns: If the table becomes wider than your screen, swipe right or left on the table to see all the columns.
To remove the table and convert its contents to text, tap a cell in the table, tap , then tap Convert to Text.
Take action on addresses, phone numbers, dates, and more
In your notes, a yellow underline appears below text that’s recognized as a street or email address, phone number, date, or other data. Tap the underlined text to take action on it. For example, you can see a street address in Maps, compose an email, call a phone number, or add a calendar event.
Note: Data detection is available when the system language of your iPad is set to a supported language in Settings > General > Language & Region. See the iOS and iPadOS Feature Availability website.
Change the Notes display on your iPad
Make the note fill the screen: While viewing a note in landscape orientation, tap or turn iPad to portrait orientation.
See your accounts, notes list, and selected note all at once: (iPad Pro 12.9-inch) Turn iPad to landscape orientation, then tap .
Use keyboard shortcuts
If your iPad is connected to an Apple external keyboard, you can use keyboard shortcuts to perform the following actions in Notes:
Start a new note: Press Command-N.
Add a checklist: Press Shift-Command-L.
Hide the sidebar: Press Control-Command-S.
View more keyboard shortcuts: Press and hold the Globe key or Command key until the shortcuts appear.