If all or most of your music is grayed out
Sync Library might be turned off or unable to connect to the Internet on one of your devices. Check the following:
- If your music library is stored on a computer, make sure that Sync Library is turned on. Then check that Sync Library is turned on for all of your other devices.
- Make sure that all of your devices are connected to the Internet.
If it's taking a long time to upload your music library
If most of your music was imported from sources other than Apple Music, or you have a large music library, it might take more time for your music library to upload.
Make sure that your computer is authorized so any music that you previously purchased from the iTunes Store can be uploaded. Then follow these steps:
- Connect your Mac or PC to the Internet.
- On your Mac, open the Music app. On your PC, open iTunes for Windows.
- Make sure that Sync Library is turned on.
- Keep the Music app or iTunes for Windows open until your music library is finished uploading.
If a song can't be uploaded with Apple Music or iTunes Match
If you see next to a song, then that song might be ineligible for upload. Learn why.
If a song isn't available in Apple Music
Some songs or albums might be grayed out because they're not currently available in Apple Music. Here are some reasons why:
- Artists and content providers might release some songs from an album in advance, but not all of them. If you add the entire album to your library, the songs will become available as they're released.
- Artists and content providers might change or remove music from the Apple Music catalog. Search Apple Music to see if that song is available under a different name or file. If it is, add the song to your library so it's no longer grayed out.
- The song might not be available in your country or region and will appear in gray text when you search for it in Apple Music.
- If an explicit song is grayed out, you might have restrictions turned on for your device. You can use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or Screen Time on your Mac to turn off restrictions. You can also add the clean version from Apple Music to your library.
- Learn what the different cloud icons next to your songs mean.
- Learn how to delete songs from your music library.
- Learn what to do if you can't find or listen to songs after you turn on Sync Library.