iOS: Unable to send or receive email
iPad, iPhone, iPod touch
This article explains what to do if you are experiencing issues sending or receiving email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
If you are unable to send or receive email, try the following steps:
- Restart the iOS device.
- Tap Safari and attempt to load a webpage to ensure that the device has Internet access. If you're unable to load a webpage, try the Wi-Fi assistant.
- Try an alternative Internet connection.
- If your email is provided by your Internet provider, try connecting from the home network.
- If your iOS device has an active cellular data plan, try to disable Wi-Fi: Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and turn off Wi-Fi.
- If not, try a different Wi-Fi network.
- Log in to your email provider's website to ensure that the account is active and the password is correct.
- Delete the account from Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and then add the email account again on the iOS device.
If you're still unable to send or receive email, contact your email provider and verify the account settings are correct. You will need to gather this information (PDF).
Using more than one device to check the same POP email account may create a lock-out issue that is easily resolved.