iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for OS X
If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't appear under Devices in iTunes after you connect it to your Mac, refer to the troubleshooting suggestions below.
This article is for OS X. If you're using a Windows PC, see what to do if your Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows.
Follow these steps to resolve your issue:
- If you haven't connected your iOS device to this computer before, unlock the device and tap Trust. Learn more about the Trust This Computer alert.
- Restart your iOS device.
- Restart your Mac.
- Make sure that your Mac meets the minimum system requirements for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Install software updates on your Mac.
If an iTunes update is available, apply the update.
- Check USB connections. iOS devices need USB 2.0 to work properly. If you're not sure your Mac has USB 2.0 ports, check the computer's specifications.
- Disconnect other USB devices and connect your device directly to a USB port on your Mac.
- Try another USB cable.