OS X Lion: Enter characters with accent marks
You can hold down a key on the keyboard or use the Keyboard Viewer to enter characters with accent marks (for example, é).
You can also add characters with accent marks to your documents using the Character Viewer. For more information, see this help topic:
Enter characters by holding down a key on the keyboard
If you hold down a key on the keyboard that corresponds to a character that can appear with an accent mark (for example, e), instead of entering the character repeatedly, a menu appears that shows the character with its possible accent marks.
- Press and hold a key on your keyboard (for example, e).
If you press and hold a key that corresponds to a character without any possible accent marks, the accent menu doesn’t appear.
- Select the character you want to use by doing one of the following:
To cycle through the characters, use the arrow keys, and then press the Space bar or Return key when the character you want to use is selected.
Press the number that corresponds to the character you want to use.
Click the character you want to use.
Enter characters using the Keyboard Viewer
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Language & Text, and then click Input Sources.
- Select the Keyboard & Character Viewer checkbox.
- Make sure the checkbox next to each input source you want to use is selected and that “Show Input menu in menu bar” is selected.
- Choose Show Keyboard Viewer from the Input menu in the menu bar (looks like a flag or character).
- Press Option, Shift, or Option-Shift to see the different accent marks you can type.
The accent mark keys appear orange. Depending on your keyboard, you may not need to press any of the modifier keys to see the accent keys.
- Press the modifier key or keys you pressed in step 2 (Shift, Option, Option-Shift, or none) and press the key on your keyboard that is in the same place as the accent you see in the Keyboard Viewer. Then, press the key for the character you want to accent.
For example, on a U.S. keyboard, to type á, press Option and E (the accent key), then press A (the key on which you want that accent to appear).