Apple ID: About SMS and two-step verification
Learn how SMS works with two-step verification.
When you sign up for two-step verification for your Apple ID, you can choose an SMS-capable phone number to receive text messages with the temporary verification codes Apple uses to verify your identity.
Note: Apple recommends that you have at least one verified SMS-capable phone number.
SMS delivery of verification codes currently works in the following countries with the following wireless carriers:
|Virgin (on Optus)|
|New Zealand||Telecom NZ|
|Virgin Mobile USA|
Adding or removing SMS numbers
To add or remove an SMS-capable number from your account:
- Go to My Apple ID (appleid.apple.com), click “Manage your Apple ID”, and sign in.
- Under Edit Your Apple ID, select “Password and Security”.
- Under Trusted Devices, select Manage.
- Click Add to enter a new SMS-capable number for your Apple ID.
- Click Remove next to the verified phone number associated with your Apple ID.