The process completely erases all music and data and reinstalls the iPod software version listed below:
- iPod shuffle (1st generation) - iPod Software version 1.1.5
- iPod shuffle (2nd generation) - iPod Software version 1.0.4
Note: iPod Reset Utility is intended for use only with the iPod models listed above; other iPods are not supported. If you are not sure which iPod you have, see Apple Identifying iPod models.
Use iPod Reset Utility to fix the following issues:
- iPod will not play music, and cannot be restored using iTunes.
- iPod is not recognized by iTunes, but is visible in My Computer or in Device Manager on a Windows PC, or in Apple System Profiler on a Mac.
- iPod shuffle (1st generation) is identified as a device in "Recovery mode." iPod shuffle (2nd generation) is identified as a "USB DFU device."
Important: Read Before Using
- You must have administrator privileges to use this utility.
- iPod Reset Utility restores your iPod to factory conditions and installs current iPod software for that model, deleting all content on iPod.
- If iPod Reset Utility cannot reset your iPod, then your iPod may need service. Go to the iPod Service page for additional information.
- Mac OS X 10.3.9, or later*
- Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4, Windows XP with Service Pack 2**
*Mac OS X 10.2.8 customers with an iPod shuffle (1st generation) can use the iPod shuffle Reset Utility.
**iPod Reset Utility is not supported for use with Windows Vista.
To install iPod Reset Utility:
- Download the iPod Reset Utility from one of the following location:
- Double-click iPodResetUtility.pkg (Mac) or iPodResetUtilitySetup.exe (Windows).
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
After installation is complete, iPod Reset Utility will be available on a Mac at /Applications/Utilities/iPod Reset Utility or on Windows by choosing Start > Programs > iPod > iPod Reset Utility.
Using iPod Reset Utility
- Quit all running applications on your computer.
- Open iPod Reset Utility.
- Connect iPod to a USB port on your computer. Do not connect iPod to a USB port on your keyboard, or other non-powered USB hub.
- Click the Reset button.
- If prompted, enter an administrator name and password. Note: Do not disconnect iPod during the reset process.
- When complete, quit iPod Reset Utility and open iTunes to load music onto iPod.