If you're troubleshooting a broadband Internet connection issue related to your modem or router, you should ask your ISP certain questions (or check their support website). If you use a modem/router that your ISP did not provide, you should ask the manufacturer of the device instead (or check their support website).
Note: This article applies to third-party broadband modems and routers. If you use an AirPort product, check out the resources available on this page instead.
Before contacting your ISP have the following information ready
- What version of Mac OS X is installed? Mac OS X v10.____.
- Which computers or devices are unable to access the Internet?
- Are the devices connecting wirelessly or via an Ethernet cable, or does it vary by device?
- Which exact make and model of modem and/or router do you use?
- What versions of firmware are installed on your modem and/or router? (If you don't know how to check the firmware version, refer to the documentation that came with the modem or router.)
- Can you connect to the Internet if the modem is connected directly to your Mac via an Ethernet cable?
Questions to ask your ISP or modem/router manufacturer
- Is there a firmware update available for the modem or router?
- If a firmware update is available, how do you install it from your Mac?
- Is there any MAC address filtering active on the modem or router? If so, can that be adjusted or disabled?
- If there is a battery backup in the modem, how can it be temporarily disabled when resetting the modem?
- Can the ISP remotely reset the modem? If not, how can you (accounting for any battery backup).
- Is there a firewall or proxy server active on the modem/router?
- Does the modem provide additional services, such as wireless access or VoIP telephone services?
If so, do you have another way of making or receiving phone calls?
- Does the modem act as a router, or provide wireless services?
- How should the Network pane in System Preferences be configured?
- What IP address range should the modem or router provide?
- Is it possible to replace the modem with a different or newer model?