iOS: Screen does not rotate
Your iPhone or iPod touch screen does not rotate as expected, and may appear to be stuck.
Follow these steps to troubleshoot the issue.
- Verify that screen rotation lock is off. If you see this symbol in the status bar, rotation lock is on: Follow the steps below to turn off screen rotation lock.
- Swipe up along the bottom of the screen to display Control Center (you can do this from any screen, including the Lock screen).
- Tap the Screen Rotation Lock button.
- If the button was highlighted, the button will appear dimmed after tapping it.
- Not all iOS apps are designed to rotate. Some may use only portrait or landscape mode, or switch depending on the content. To test screen rotation, open the Calculator app that comes with your device. If the screen does not rotate as expected while using the calculator app, continue troubleshooting.
- If the issue persists, restart your iOS device.
- If the screen remains locked, back up and restore your device.
- If the display orientation still will not change when rotating your device, follow these troubleshooting steps.
Please follow these troubleshooting steps if you have an iPad.
Last Modified: Sep 24, 2013