Archived - iPhone: No ring or sound from built-in speaker
This article has been archived and is no longer updated by Apple.
You may experience the following issues:
- When using iPhone, no sound can be heard from the built-in speaker.
- iPhone does not appear to play a ringtone when there is an incoming call.
- Begin by playing music or other audio on the iPhone. Press the volume up button on the side of the phone to make sure that the volume is not muted or turned down. While turning up the volume, an on-screen display should appear indicating the sound output source (headphones or Bluetooth) if your iPhone software is up to date.
- If the sound output source indicates "headphones" and no headphones are attached, try attaching headphones momentarily, then disconnect the headphone and press the volume button again. See if the sound output is now going through the built-in speaker. You may want to try repeating this more than once—inserting and removing the headset multiple times could free any debris that may have been lodged in the headphone jack. Do not attempt to insert anything other than the headphone connector into the iPhone headset jack.
- If the phone indicates that Bluetooth is the current sound output, audio will be channeled to the Bluetooth headset or hands-free device that is paired with the phone. Turn off the device, or turn off Bluetooth on the phone if you are not using any Bluetooth devices at this time (Tap Settings > General > Bluetooth and set Bluetooth to Off).
- If music audio plays from the built-in speaker, but you do not hear the phone ring during an incoming call, check the ringer switch on the side of the phone to make sure the phone is not set to silent or vibrate mode. Toggling this switch should give you an onscreen indicator of the ring mode. Silent mode is indicated by a bell icon with a line through it.
- If you still do not hear iPhone ring when a call arrives, try changing to a built-in ringtone such as "Marimba" to see if iPhone will then ring.
- If you still do not hear audio from iPhone as expected, try turning the phone off and back on again, or try resetting iPhone.
- If you do hear audio coming from the built-in speaker, but it appears to be low or muffled, and the volume is turned all the way up, click here for additional recommendations.
If the sound is muffled or low, see this document. If you're having another issue with iPhone, see "How to Identify iPhone Hardware Is Working Correctly" for more information.
Last Modified: Jul 1, 2010