QuickTime: How to Install on Windows
QuickTime 5 and QuickTime 6 use a Web installer application to speedily and easily download and install QuickTime software. The installer only downloads the software for the installation type you've selected. This means you don't have to download the whole, larger installer for features you don't plan on using. The installer can also automatically update the software on your computer when new components are made available.
Note: If you have Windows 95, you must install QuickTime 5.
Downloading the installer
To install QuickTime:
- Connect to the Internet and open the QuickTime website.
- Click the button to select the Windows version of QuickTime. Note: The Windows 2000 and Windows XP installer for QuickTime includes iTunes.
- Choose a language.
- Fill in the contact information if you'd like to stay informed about updates and offers.
- Click Download QuickTime. Your Web browser will download the installer.
Important: The QuickTime 4 and QuickTime 5 installers are saved to your computer as a Zip archive (Figure 1). You must first decompress, or "unzip", the archive before you can install QuickTime. If you try to install using the Zip archive, this message will appear: "This application may depend on other compressed files in this folder. For the application to run properly, it is recommended that you first extract all files." You can then click "Extract all", Run, or Cancel. Clicking Run will install QuickTime 6. To install QuickTime 4 or 5, click Extract all and then run the installer from the extracted folder.
Figure 1 Zip archive (top), extracted folder (bottom)
Figure 2 Compressed (zipped) Folders Warning
Figure 3 QuickTime 6 Installer welcome message
After reading the Welcome message and information about QuickTime, click Next. Next, the software license agreement appears. After reading the license agreement, click Agree in order to continue installing QuickTime software.
The Choose Destination Location window appears:
Figure 4 Choose Destination Location window
Select the directory to install the QuickTime software by clicking Browse. When you have selected the directory, click Next.
The Choose Installation Type window appears:
Figure 5 Choose Installation Type window
- Minimum - Installs the QuickTime Player, Web browser Plug-in, and essential QuickTime system software including MP3, VR and Flash. Approximate download size: 4.3 MB
- Full -Installs the Minimum package, PictureViewer, authoring support, DV support, and media exporters. Approximate download size: 7.2 MB
- Custom - Allows you to customize QuickTime by installing only the components you choose, Options include: QuickTime for Java, QuickDraw 3D, and QuickTime diagnostics.
The Select Program Folder window appears:
Figure 6 Select Program Folder window
The setup program automatically creates a folder called QuickTime to install program icons. You can type a new folder name or select an existing folder from the list. Once you have made your selections, click Next.
The QuickTime Plugin Options window appears:
Figure 7 QuickTime Plugin Options window
The setup program installs the QuickTime plug-in into the Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator or Communicator plug-in folder. To locate additional browser plug-ins folders, click Browse. Once you have made your selections, click Next.
The Enter Registration window appears:
Figure 8 Enter Registration window
- Enter your QuickTime Pro registration name and number, then click Next.
- If you do not have a QuickTime Pro registration number, click Next without entering any information.
Figure 9 QuickTime 5 Setup window
If you wish to use a Proxy connection to the Internet, click the checkbox for "Use HTTP Proxy" and enter the address of the Proxy server:
Figure 10 Use HTTP Proxy screen
When you are ready to install the QuickTime software, click Continue.
Note: You must have an active connection to the Internet in order to complete the QuickTime software installation.
The QuickTime Web Installer will connect to the Internet and begin downloading the files needed to complete the installation:
Figure 11 QuickTime 6 Setup showing download progress
Note: Depending on the type of installation you have selected and the speed of your Internet connection, it may take as long as 105 minutes to download all files.
Tip: If you cancel the file download or lose connection during the download process, all files that were able to be downloaded will be automatically saved. Once you begin the installation again, the remaining files will be downloaded.
The QuickTime Web installer begins installing the QuickTime software files:
Figure 12 QuickTime Web installer installing software files
Next, the QuickTime Setup Assistant appears:
Follow the on-screen instructions to set the connection speed, QuickTime browser plug-in settings, and file type associations.
Figure 13 QuickTime Settings: Introduction window
Figure 14 QuickTime Settings: Connection Speed window
Figure 15 QuickTime Settings: Browser Plug-in window
Figure 16 QuickTime Settings: File Type Associations window
Upon successful installation, the following message appears:
Figure 17 QuickTime installer Finished screen
- To review the QuickTime README file, select its checkbox.
- To view a sample movie using QuickTime Player, select its checkbox.
Note: Open the QuickTime Player and play the sample movie to verify the installation and see the (Web installation check).