iTunes for Windows: iTunes 7 doesn‘t recognize iPod
iPod will appear on desktop, but will not show up in iTunes
Many Windows XP users customize the Local Services that run on their system to improve performance. Having the Local Service called "Terminal Services" disabled in Windows XP will prevent iTunes from recognizing your iPod.
- From the the Start menu, choose Run.
- In the Open field, type services.msc.
- Click OK.
The Services browser will open and display a list of all of the background services installed on your computer.
- Scroll down to Terminal Services.
- Double-click Terminal Services to view its properties.
- From the Startup type pop-up menu, choose Manual.
- Click Apply and then click OK.
- Restart your computer.
After your computer has restarted, the service "Terminal Services" will be running. When you reconnect your iPod and open iTunes, your iPod should be recognized.
Note: Mac users click here if you're experiencing a similar issue on Mac OS X.
Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute Apple's recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.