iPod: Doesn't display a Podcasts menu or has two Podcasts menus
The latest versions of iPod software and iTunes add Podcast features to iPod. iPod Updater 2005-6-26 and later adds a Podcast menu to any iPod with a Click Wheel. For iPods without a Click Wheel, iTunes 4.9 and later creates a Podcasts playlist on the iPod (it will do the same on Click Wheel models that haven't been updated with iPod Updater 2005-6-26 or later).
Depending on what software you install and how you install it, your iPod may experience one of the following issues:
- iPod does not display the Podcasts menu
- iPod displays Podcasts menus in two places—a Podcasts menu and a Podcasts playlist
iPod does not display the Podcasts menu
If you install iPod Updater 2005-6-26 or later on an iPod without a Click Wheel, it won't add a Podcasts menu. Instead, install iTunes 4.9 or later, which will create a Podcasts playlist on the iPod.
iPod has a Podcasts menu and a Podcasts playlist
If you install iTunes 4.9 or later, manually sync an iPod with a Click Wheel with it, and then update your iPod with iPod Updater 2005-6-26 or later, you will have a Podcasts playlist and a Podcasts menu. To remove the Podcasts playlist, temporarily set your iPod to sync Podcasts automatically in iTunes Preferences. To do this:
- Connect your iPod (if it's not already connected).
- Windows users: On the Edit menu, click Preferences.
Mac users: From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences.
- In the preferences dialog, click the iPod button.
- Click the Podcasts tab.
- Select the "Automatically update all Podcasts radio button."
- Click OK. You should be left with only the Podcast menu.
You can change it back to a manual sync if you prefer. Because the Podcast playlist was there from an earlier firmware version, it will not return.
If you're not sure what iPod you have or if it has a Click Wheel, see this document.