How to Install Cinema Tools for Final Cut Pro 3
This document describes how to install Cinema Tools for Final Cut Pro.
Installing Cinema Tools for Final Cut Pro
Congratulations on your purchase of Cinema Tools for Final Cut Pro. The following information is intended to get you up and running as quickly as possible. Be sure to also read the "Before You Install" document (on the Cinema Tools for Final Cut Pro installation CD).
Using Cinema Tools With Final Cut Pro
Final Cut Pro version 3.0.2 for Mac OS X is the required companion product to Cinema Tools.
It is required for several Cinema Tools features:
- 24 frames per second (fps) Edit Decision List (EDL) Import and Export
- the direct export of film lists from an edited sequence
Installing Cinema Tools on Systems With Final Cut Pro
The Cinema Tools installation package contains plug-ins and Easy Setup files for Final Cut Pro. How these are handled during the installation depends on your situation:
- If you are installing Cinema Tools on a system that already has Final Cut Pro 3.0.2 installed, Final Cut Pro is configured to work with these files.
- If you are installing Cinema Tools and Final Cut Pro at the same time, install Final Cut Pro first. This ensures that Final Cut Pro will be properly configured to work with Cinema Tools.
- If you install Final Cut Pro 3.0.2 sometime after you install Cinema Tools, you will need to reinstall Cinema Tools to properly configure Final Cut Pro.
Installing Cinema Tools on systems with Final Cut Pro adds plug-ins and Easy Setups to Final Cut Pro. The plug-ins let you export film lists and audio EDLs, and provide 24 fps EDL Import and Export functionality. The Easy Setups support three DV configurations: 23.98 fps, 24 fps, and NTSC with non-drop frame timecode.
Before you install Cinema Tools, make sure that your system meets the minimum requirements.
Important Be sure your system also meets Final Cut Pro's needs when installing both applications, especially if you want to take advantage of Final Cut Pro's full feature set.
- The following are the minimum recommended computer configurations:
- Power Macintosh G3/300 megahertz (MHz) or faster computer with built-in FireWire
- PowerBook G3/400 MHz or faster computer with built-in FireWire
- iMac 350 MHz or faster computer with built-in FireWire
- iBook (Dual USB) 500 MHz or faster computer with built-in FireWire
Your computer also needs the following:
- A CD or DVD drive
- 256 megabytes (MB) of random-access memory (RAM)
- 10 MB of disk space for the application
- If you will be storing media clips on the same computer, at least a 6 gigabyte (GB), Audio/Video rated disk drive (20 GB or greater recommended)
- Mac OS X v10.1.3 or later
- QuickTime 5.0.4 or later (included with Mac OS X)
- Final Cut Pro 3.0.2 for Mac OS X is the required companion product to Cinema Tools.
Recommendations for Good Performance
Follow these recommendations to help Cinema Tools work smoothly on your system.
- Don't use your computer as a server.
Using your system as a server can impede the performance of Cinema Tools, causing dropped frames and other issues.
- Don't use Cinema Tools while connected to the Internet via a modem.
Installing and Registering Cinema Tools for Final Cut Pro
Note: Before you can install any software on computers with Mac OS X, you need to log in as the administrator using the administrator password.
- 1. Insert the Cinema Tools installation CD into your CD or DVD drive, then double-click the Cinema Tools Installer folder.
2. Double-click the Install Cinema Tools icon and follow the onscreen instructions.
Note: If multiple copies of Final Cut Pro 3.0.2 are detected, you will be asked to select the one to configure for Cinema Tools.
3. When a message appears stating that installation was successful, click Quit.
4. Double-click the Cinema Tools application icon to open Cinema Tools.
Important The Cinema Tools installation CD must be in the CD or DVD drive the first time you open Cinema Tools. It is no longer required after you have filled out the Registration dialog.
5. In the Cinema Tools Registration dialog, enter your first and last name.
Note: Entering a middle initial and organization is optional.
6. In the Serial Number field, enter the Cinema Tools serial number listed on the installation CD sleeve, then click OK.
Important The serial number is case-sensitive. Be sure to enter it exactly as shown on the label.
You are now ready to begin using Cinema Tools.
This document contains information from the Cinema Tools in-box materials and installation CD.
Note: Final Cut Pro 4 includes Cinema Tools 2. The Final Cut Pro 4 installer installs both programs.