Export your iMovie projects to use on Apple TV
You can watch your home movies on Apple TV by exporting them from iMovie. Depending on your source material (SD or HD), the iMovie export option provides video encoding up to 1280x720, 24 fps Progressive. QuickTime 7.1.5 or later is required.
Note that files created using the "Movie to Apple TV" option will not be compatible with iPod.
Follow these steps to export your iMovie to Apple TV:
- In iMovie, choose Share > QuickTime.
- From the Compress movie for pop-up menu, choose Expert Settings.
- Click Share.
- When the "Save exported file as" window appears, choose Movie to Apple TV from the Export pop-up menu.
- From the Where pop-up menu, select a destination for your movie then click Save.
Once you completed these steps you can import your movie into iTunes so you can use it with Apple TV.
- Open iTunes.
- Locate your exported movie and drag it to the iTunes Movies library.
- Sync the movie to Apple TV.
Note: If you have setup iTunes to copy files to iTunes Music folder, then you can delete your exported file. This option is located in the iTunes Preferences. Choose iTunes > Preferences and click Advanced. Click the General tab and then see if the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" option is selected.