About the Mac OS X 10.4.6 Update (combo)
The Mac OS X 10.4.6 Update (combo) updates Mac OS X 10.4, 10.4.1, 10.4.2, 10.4.3, 10.4.4 or 10.4.5 to version 10.4.6 on both Intel-based Macs and PowerPC-based Macs. (If you are just updating from Mac OS X 10.4.5 to 10.4.6, see this article instead.)
Important: Please read before installing
- If you use iSync, you should perform a full sync with your devices before installing this update. Mac OS X 10.4.6 Update includes a later version of iSync with several improvements. For more information and before-you-install steps, see iSync 2.2: Read before updating to Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later, or before first sync.
- With the Mac OS X 10.4.6 system software update, PowerPC-based Macs will restart twice, instead of once, after the initial installation.
- You may experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modifications installed, or if you've modified the operating system through other means. (This does not apply to normal application software installation.)
- The installation process should not be interrupted. If a power outage or other interruption occurs during installation, use the standalone installer (see below) from Apple Downloads to update.
- If issues occur during installation--for example, Software Update quits unexpectedly, please see this article.
There are two ways to update to Mac OS X 10.4.6: Use Software Update or the standalone installer. You only need to use one of these methods to update your computer.Automatic Software Update
Software Update, located in the Apple menu, will automatically download the latest Apple software. (Software Update might have linked you to this article to learn more about the update.) Note that the update's size may vary from computer to computer when installed using Software Update. Some updates must be installed prior to others, soyou may need to run Software Update more than once to get all of the available updates.
Download the update installer and run it manually. This a useful option when you need to update multiple computers but only want to download the update once. Two versions of the standalone installer are available from Apple Downloads: a delta and combo.
The delta update installer (detailed in a different article) updates Mac OS X 10.4.5 to 10.4.6.
This update offers many improvements. For a list of some of them, see About the Mac OS X 10.4.6 Update (delta).
This update also includes improvements delivered with earlier Mac OS X 10.4 updates, as described in these articles:
- About the Mac OS X 10.4.5 Update (delta)
- About the Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update (delta)
- About the Mac OS X 10.4.3 Update (delta)
- About the Mac OS X 10.4.2 Update (delta)
- About the Mac OS X 10.4.1 Update