iDVD: OneStep DVD not available for HDV format
The OneStep DVD feature in iDVD 5 enables you to quickly transfer your video onto a DVD. Please note that this feature only works with DV format footage. If your camera records video in the high-definition HDV format, you can use iMovie HD to capture all the footage from your camera and then use iDVD to burn the video to DVD.
To do this:
- Connect your DV camera to your computer.
- Turn on the camera (no need to rewind the tape).
- Set the camera to VTR mode.
- Open iMovie HD and click the "Make a Magic iMovie" button, or choose Make a Magic iMovie from the File menu (close any open projects first).
- Click the Video format triangle and set the video format to HDV 1080i or HDV 720p, depending on your camera's format.
- Type a name for the project and click Create.
- In the resulting dialog, you can choose a transition to add between scenes and add music if you'd like. Make sure that you select the "Send to iDVD" checkbox (see the Note below), then click the Create button.
- iMovie will capture and assemble your footage and send the movie to iDVD. When iDVD opens, you can change the theme and customize the project however you want.
- When finished, click the Burn button to burn your DVD.
Note: If you'd like your movie to autoplay, don't select the "Send to iDVD" checkbox in the Magic iMovie dialog. Instead, after following the above steps, follow these steps in iMovie:
- From the File menu, choose Share.
- Click the QuickTime icon.
- From the Export to pop-up menu, choose Full Quality.
- Click Share.
- Type a name for the exported movie and click Save.
iMovie creates a QuickTime movie. It may be necessary to resize the movie as explained in this document. Then you can then drag to your iDVD project icon in Map view.