About the Mac OS X 10.3.8 Update (Delta)
Important: Please read before installing
- You may experience unexpected results if you have installed third-party system software modifications, or if you have modified the operating system through other means. (This does not apply to normal application software installation.)
- The installation process should not be interrupted. If a power outage or other interruption occurs during installation, use the standalone installer (see below) from Apple Downloads to update.
You have two ways to update to Mac OS X 10.3.8: Use Software Update or the standalone installer. Use just one of these methods to update your computer.
Automatic Software Update
Software Update, located in System Preferences, can automatically download and install the latest Apple software. Software Update may have linked you to this document for additional information about the update.
This update's size may vary from computer to computer when installed via Software Update.
Because some updates are prerequisites for others, you may need to run Software Update more than once to get all available updates.
Two versions of the installer (Delta and Combo, described below) are available from Apple Downloads as standalone updates. After you download an update, you can use it without being connected to the Internet.
- The Delta Update installer (described here) will update Mac OS X 10.3.7 to 10.3.8.
- The Combo Update installer can update 10.3, 10.3.1, 10.3.2, 10.3.3, 10.3.4, 10.3.5, 10.3.6, or 10.3.7 to 10.3.8.
The standalone installer, particularly the Combo Update, is useful if you have multiple computers to update and only want to download the 10.3.8 update once.
Mac OS X 10.3.8 Enhancements
These are some of the enhancements delivered with the Mac OS X 10.3.8 Update:
- Addresses an issue with Mac OS X 10.3.7 in which iChat, Mail, or other network-based applications could take a long time to open.
- Addresses an issue in which a computer wouldn't always restart automatically after a power failure, even when the Energy Saver preference option "Restart automatically after a power failure" was selected.
- Improves the performance of Blizzard World of Warcraft's "Full Screen Glow" video feature.
- Improves DVD Player compatibility when playing a movie (using certain ATI Radeon cards) to an external widescreen TV with a 16:9 aspect ratio.
- Resolves an issue in which a "flicker" could be seen when navigating DVD menus in DVD Player on certain PowerBook G4 computers.
- Addresses an issue in which a PowerBook G4 computer would, on rare occasion, wake from sleep with a black screen and not respond to any keyboard, mouse, or trackpad input.
- Addresses "jumping cursor" issues that might occur when using your portable computer's trackpad with your thumb, side of thumb, or a "flat" finger.
- Resolves an issue on certain Power Mac G5 computers where a fan cycles erratically at unexpected times, such as when Seti@home software is running.
- Speeds up Address Book and Mail LDAP lookups that are performed by a Cisco DistributedDirector DNS server.
- Addresses an issue that could prevent clients using the Active Directory plugin from binding to their Active Directory server.
- Addresses a kernel panic that could occur when dialing or connecting to your ISP via your internal Apple modem.
Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only, and does not constitute Apple's recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.
Important: Mention of third-party websites and products is for informational purposes only and constitutes neither an endorsement nor a recommendation. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance or use of information or products found at third-party websites. Apple provides this only as a convenience to our users. Apple has not tested the information found on these sites and makes no representations regarding its accuracy or reliability. There are risks inherent in the use of any information or products found on the Internet, and Apple assumes no responsibility in this regard. Please understand that a third-party site is independent from Apple and that Apple has no control over the content on that website.