Apple TV (1st generation) - Technical Specifications
This article has been archived and is no longer updated by Apple.
Processor and storage
- Intel processor
- 40GB or 160GB hard drive2 for storing content locally
- Up to 50 hours (40GB) or 200 hours (160GB) of video3
- Up to 9,000 songs (40GB) or 36,000 songs (160GB)4
- Up to 25,000 pictures5
- Mac or PC
- iTunes 7.6 or later
- Mac: Mac OS X v10.3.9 or v10.4.9 or later
- PC: Windows XP Home or Professional (SP2) or Windows Vista
- AirPort Extreme, Wi-Fi 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n wireless network6 (wireless video streaming requires 802.11g or 802.11n) or 10/100BASE-T Ethernet network
Ports and interfaces
- HDMI (video and audio)7
- Component video
- Optical audio
- Analog RCA stereo audio
- 10/100BASE-T Ethernet
- USB 2.0
- 802.11n wireless networking6
- Built-in IR receiver (works with included Apple Remote)
- Operating temperature: 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C)
- Storage temperature: -40° to 185° F
(-40° to 85° C)
- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
- Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3,000 m)
Video formats supported
- H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
- iTunes Store purchased video: 320 by 240 pixels, 640 by 480 pixels, 720 by 480 pixels (anamorphic), or high-definition 720p
- MPEG-4: Up to 3 Mbps, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 720 by 432 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
Audio formats supported
- AAC (16 to 320 Kbps); protected AAC (from iTunes Store); MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps); MP3 VBR; Apple Lossless; AIFF; WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through
Photo formats supported
- JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, PNG
- Compatible with enhanced-definition or high-definition widescreen TVs capable of 1080p/1080i 60/50Hz, 720p 60/50Hz, 576p 50Hz (PAL format), or 480p 60Hz, including popular models from these manufacturers:HP, Hitachi, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, NEC, Olevia, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Polaroid, Samsung, Sony, Sharp,Toshiba, Vizio, Westinghouse
In the box
- Apple TV
- Apple Remote
- Power cord
- Quick Start guide
Size and weight
- Footprint: 7.7 by 7.7 inches (197 by 197 mm)
- Height: 1.1 inches (28 mm)
- Weight: 2.4 pounds (1.09 kg)1
- Built-in 48-watt universal power supply
- XtremeMac HDMI to HDMI cable TL951LL/A
- XtremeMac HDMI to DVI cable TL952LL/A
- XtremeMac component video cable TL953LL/A
- XtremeMac analog audio cable TL954LL/A
- XtremeMac TOSLINK optical cable TL955LL/A
- AirPort Extreme Base Station MA073LL/A
- AppleCare Protection Plan MA937LL/A
- Actual weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process.
- 1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.
- Video capacity based on H.264 1.5-Mbps video at 640-by-480-pixel resolution combined with 128-Kbps audio. Actual capacity varies by content.
- Music capacity based on 4 minutes per song and 128-Kbps AAC encoding. Actual capacity varies by content.
- Photo capacity based on Apple TV-viewable photos transferred from iTunes.
- Based on an IEEE 802.11n draft specification. Learn more about the 802.11n draft specification.
- Requires HDMI with HDCP or component video.
- Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound is not available with all HD rentals.
- Estimated start times based on a 90-minute movie and a sustained Internet connection speed. Times vary based on movie length, broadband connection speed, and other factors. Test your broadband speed at www.speedtest.net.
Broadband Internet access is required.
Published Date: Apr 6, 2016