Audio Midi Setup: Set up your MIDI devices
If you use MIDI devices or a MIDI interface connected to your computer, you can use Audio MIDI Setup to describe the configuration of your MIDI devices.
Other applications that work with MIDI, such as sequencers, can use this configuration information to control your MIDI devices.
- Connect your MIDI devices to your computer.
If you’re using an interface device, connect any other MIDI devices you’re using to your interface. Also make sure you have installed any software provided by the manufacturer of the MIDI devices. See the documentation that came with your devices.
- In Audio MIDI Setup, choose Window > Show MIDI Window.
The MIDI devices connected to your computer should appear. If they don’t, click Rescan MIDI in the toolbar.
- Choose New Configuration from the Configuration pop-up menu. Give the new configuration a name and click OK.
- Double-click the icon for a MIDI device to describe the device’s configuration:
You can give it a name and provide other information about the device. This name appears in applications you use with your MIDI device.
Click Open Icon Browser to change the icon.
Click More Information, if necessary, to select settings for the MIDI properties and ports for the device.
- Click Apply.
- For each MIDI device that you want to include in the configuration, click Add Device. Double-click the icon for the device to name the device, select a different icon for it, and specify MIDI settings for the device.
- To specify the connection between MIDI devices, drag the output or input connectors above the device icon to the corresponding connector on the other device icon.
You can’t specify a “MIDI thru” connection between two MIDI devices. To indicate a MIDI thru connection, connect the two MIDI devices to the same port of the MIDI interface device.