Audio Midi Setup: Transfer MIDI information between applications
With Audio MIDI Setup, you can use a feature known as the IAC driver to allow MIDI applications to transfer information to each other. For example, you might have a MIDI keyboard application send its MIDI data to another MIDI synthesizer application.
- In Audio MIDI Setup, choose Window > Show MIDI Window.
- In the MIDI Studio window, double-click the IAC Driver icon.
- In the IAC Driver Properties window, click the “Device is online” checkbox to turn on the driver.
- If you want to configure the connections, click More Information.
- If you need more than one bus, click the Add button (+) to add the buses you want.
Each bus (sometimes referred to as a port) provides a source and a destination that will appear in your MIDI applications. You then specify that one application uses the bus as a destination and another uses the same bus as a source. One application sends information to a bus and another application receives data from it. For example, one application sends information to Bus 1 as a destination, and another application receives that information from Bus 1 as a source.
- Specify the number of MIDI input and MIDI output connectors for each bus.
- Click Apply.