iCal 5.x: Invite others to an event
You can invite others to events using their email addresses. If your guests have set up iCal on their computers, they can receive your event invitations in iCal. Otherwise, they receive the invitations by email.
You can also send invitations directly through iCal to people who share the same CalDAV or Exchange calendar service (for example, to fellow employees at your company).
- Make sure you have a card for yourself in Address Book that includes your email address.
To create your own card, see this Address Book help topic:
- In iCal, double-click the event you want to invite people to. If the event editor isn’t open, click Edit to open it.
- To add someone, click Add Invitees and type the email address for the person you want to invite.
If you’re inviting someone whose contact information is stored in Address Book or on the same server (for example, through your workplace), start typing the person’s name. iCal provides a list of contacts. Select the contact you want, and then press Return to select it.
If your contacts are stored in Address Book or on the same server, you can also use the Address panel in iCal to quickly add invitees to your event. To open the Address panel, choose Window > Address Panel. For more information, see this help topic:
If your contacts are stored on the same server, you can use the Availability panel to see when your invitees are available. For more information, see this help topic:
- To invite more than one person, press Return (or type a comma) after each email address, and then type the next email address or name.
- To remove a person from the invitees list, click the arrow next to the email address and choose Remove Invitee, or select the email address and press the Delete key (this doesn’t remove the person from Address Book).
- When you’re ready to invite these guests to your event, click the Send button at the bottom of the event editor.
If you make any changes to the event, be sure to click the Update button at the bottom of the event editor.
For more information about adding contacts to Address Book, see this Address Book help topic: