iCal 5.x: Set an alert for an event
You can be notified of a pending iCal event by setting one or more alerts for it. Alerts can be set to make a sound, flash a notice on the screen, or perform other actions. If your calendar is administered through an Exchange server, you can set only one alert per event.
- In iCal, double-click an event. If the event editor isn’t open, click Edit to open it.
- Choose a type of alert from the Alert pop-up menu.
Option Description None: Sets no alert. Message: Displays a notice on the screen. Message with Sound: Displays a notice on the screen and makes an alert sound. Choose the sound you want to hear from the accompanying pop-up menu. Email: Sends an email to your email address as specified in the Address Book application. If you have more than one email address, you can choose one from the accompanying pop-up menu. Open File: Opens the file you choose from the accompanying pop-up menu. If you don’t see the file you want in the pop-up menu, choose Other to select the file. Run Script: Runs the instructions given in an AppleScript file that you choose from the accompanying pop-up menu. If you don’t see the file you want in the pop-up menu, choose Other to select the file.
- Choose a time or date for the alert from the accompanying Alert pop-up menu.
- To add another alert, choose an alarm type from the next Alert pop-up menu, and set a time or date for it.
Each time you set another alert for the same event, a new Alert pop-up menu appears. You can set as many alerts as you want for each event. However, you can set only one alert for events on an Exchange calendar.
- To remove an alert, choose None from the Alert pop-up menu.