OS X Lion: Organize the sidebar
This article has been archived and is no longer updated by Apple.
Finder windows have a sidebar on the left side of the window that displays icons for items you use frequently, including disks, servers, and folders.
Note: To open a Finder window, click the Finder icon in the Dock. If the sidebar is not visible, choose View > Show Sidebar. If Show Sidebar is dimmed, choose View > Show Toolbar.
Add, remove, and rearrange items in the sidebar
- To add a file, folder, or application to the sidebar, drag its icon to the Favorites section.
- To remove an item from the sidebar, hold down the Command (⌘) key and drag the item’s icon out of the sidebar. Although the icon disappears, the original is still in its place on your computer.
You can’t remove items from the Shared section.
- To rearrange items, drag to where you want them in the sidebar.
You can’t rearrange items in the Shared section.
Show, hide, or resize the sidebar
- To show or hide the sidebar, choose View > Hide Sidebar or View > Show Sidebar.
- To change the width of the sidebar, drag the right side of the divider bar to the right or left.
Last Modified: Oct 31, 2013