OS X Mavericks: Set up a scanner
You can add a scanner to the list of devices in Printers & Scanners preferences.
If you’ve already set up a printer that includes a scanner, you may be able to use its scanner features without any additional work. Select the printer in the list at the left, then click Scan.
- Before setting up your scanner, choose Apple menu > Software Update to make sure OS X has the latest information about scanner software it can download from Apple.
- Follow the instructions that came with the scanner to unpack it and connect it to your Mac.
Important: Don’t install software that came with the scanner. OS X downloads the latest scanner software automatically.
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.
- If you don’t see your scanner in the list at the left, click Add (+). If a pop-up menu appears, choose Add Printer or Scanner.
- Select your scanner, then click Add.
If your scanner isn’t in the list, see the documentation that came with the scanner to find out how to scan with it.