OS X Mavericks: If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly
This article has been archived and is no longer updated by Apple.
There are several solutions to try.
- If the app is frozen, force quit the app. Press Option-Command (⌘)-Esc, select the app, then click Force Quit.
When you force an app to quit, you may lose unsaved changes.
- If the app quit, reopen it by clicking Reopen in the dialog that appears.
- Restart your Mac.
- Read the app’s documentation to check if it’s compatible with your version of OS X.
- Open another file in the app. There may be a problem with the original file.
- Check for updates to your software.
- Disconnect any peripheral devices you just connected (for example, a printer). They may not be compatible with your version of OS X.
- Uninstall any app plug-ins or enhancements from other manufacturers.
If you recently updated the app or OS X, a plug-in or enhancement you installed may no longer be compatible.
- Use Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test. These tools can tell you if hardware you installed, such as additional memory, is incompatible, improperly installed, or defective.
- Restart your Mac in safe mode.
- Use Disk Utility to repair your computer’s internal disk.
Published Date: Oct 20, 2015