OS X Mavericks: Change the icon of a file or folder
You can create a custom icon for any file or folder. You can use your own pictures to create icons, download icons from the web, or use the icon from another file or folder.
Use your own picture or a picture from the web
- Copy the picture you want to use to the Clipboard.
One way to do this is to open the picture in Preview, choose Edit > Select All, then choose Edit > Copy.
- Select the file or folder whose icon you want to replace, then choose File > Get Info.
- At the top of the Info window, click the picture of the icon to select it, then choose Edit > Paste.
Use an icon from another file or folder
- Select the first file or folder, then choose File > Get Info. Then select the other file or folder and choose File > Get Info.
- In one Info window, select the icon you want to use, then choose Edit > Copy.
- In the other Info window, select the icon you want to replace, then choose Edit >Paste.