OS X Mavericks: Set up a simple desktop and Finder
To simplify a user’s desktop and Finder, turn on Use Simple Finder in Parental Controls preferences. With a simple desktop and Finder, the Dock contains only three things: My Applications, Documents, and Shared. You can decide which apps and documents the user can access.
Before you can set up a simple desktop and Finder for a user, turn on parental controls. For more information, see:
Set up Simple Finder
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Parental Controls.
- Click the lock icon to unlock it, then enter an administrator name and password.
- Select a user in the list of users, then click Apps.
- Select Use Simple Finder.
- In the Allowed Apps list, select apps the user can open.
Select a category, then click the arrow to list the apps in the category. Select the checkbox to allow access to the app.
To search for an app, enter its name in the search field.
To turn on Simple Finder, you may have to restart the Mac.