OS X Mountain Lion: Share your printer
You can let other users access a printer that’s connected to your Mac, as long as they’re on your local network. The other users can be using a Mac or a UNIX computer. Mac users must be using Mac OS X v10.5 or later. UNIX users should check their documentation to see if they can use the shared printer.
When you share your printer, all users on your network can use it by default. To restrict access, use Sharing preferences.
Share your printer
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan.
- Select the printer to share in the list at the left.
- Select “Share this printer on the network.”
- If your printer includes a scanner and you want to share the scanner too, click Scan, and then select the “Share this scanner on the network” option.
Documents waiting to print on printers you’re sharing are stored on your hard disk. (That is, your computer hosts the queue for the printer.)
Let UNIX users print to a shared printer
UNIX users who use the Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS) can use any of your shared printers. They can use both PostScript and non-PostScript printers, but they must always send PostScript print jobs to your printer.
After you share your printer, provide UNIX users with the IP address of your Mac and the queue name of your printer.
- To find your computer’s IP address, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Network, and then click the network interface (Wi-Fi, for example) that you’re using.
- To find a printer’s queue name, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan. Select the printer, click Options & Supplies, and then click General.
Restrict access to your shared printer
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and then click Sharing.
- Click Printer Sharing, and then click the shared printer you want to restrict access to.
- Click Add (+) at the bottom of the Users list.
- Select a category of user, select the user, and then click Select.
To select a user or a group of users that you set up in Users & Groups preferences, select Users & Groups.
To select a user from your network, select Network Users.
To select a user from your contact cards, select Contacts.
To create a new account that will only be used for sharing, click New Person, enter a name and password, and then click Create Account.
Select only users with passwords. Users with blank passwords or no passwords can’t print to a restricted printer.