OS X Mountain Lion: Choose an app to open a document
You can select a specific app to open a document. Do this if you prefer using a certain app or if you don’t have the app that was used to create the document.
Permanently change the document’s app
- Select the document and choose File > Get Info.
- In the Info window, click the triangle next to “Open with” to expand the section.
- Choose an app from the pop-up menu, or choose Other to locate a different app.
- If you want to use that app to open all documents of the same type as the current document and created by the same app, click Change All.
Temporarily change the document’s app
You can open a document in a different app without changing the app that normally opens it. Use either of these methods:
- Control-click the document, choose Open With, and then choose the app you want to use.
- Drag the document to the app’s icon in the Dock or in the Finder.
Find more apps
If you don’t have the app needed to open the document, you can find more apps in the App Store or at the Apple Downloads website.
- If the App Store’s icon is in the Dock, click it to go to the App Store.
- Visit the Apple Downloads website.