OS X Mountain Lion: Set limits on email
You can use parental controls to restrict whom a user exchanges email with when using the Mail app. When you set Mail limits for a user, the user can exchange email only with addresses on an approved list.
You can set up parental controls to notify a parent or administrator if the user tries to use an email address that is not on the approved list.
To restrict a user’s email usage, you must first turn on parental controls for the user.
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and then click Parental Controls.
- If the lock is locked, click it and enter an administrator name and password.
- Select the user you want to control, click People, and then select Limit Mail.
- To add an approved Mail contact, click Add (+), and then do one of the following:
Enter an approved person’s name, and then in the Allowed Accounts field, enter an email address and choose Email from the pop-up menu.
To add another email address for this person, click Add (+) to the right of the address you entered.
To remove an address for this person, click Delete (–) to the right of the address you want to remove.
To add this person to your Contacts app, select “Add person to my address book.”
To select an approved contact from the Contacts app, click the triangle to the right of the “Last name” field, select the contact in the list, and then click Add. To find a contact in the list, enter all or part of the contact’s name or address in the search field.
- To notify a parent or administrator when an email address not on the approved list is used, select “Send permission requests to,” and then enter an email address. The parent or administrator must be using Mac OS X v10.4 or later.
Email messages from senders not on the list are automatically forwarded to the address you specify, where delivery of the messages can be approved or denied.
If the parental controls user tries to send a message to someone not on the list, Mail alerts the user that the message can’t be sent. The user can then send a permission request to the email address you specify, where the request can be approved or denied.
- To remove a contact from the approved list, select the contact, and then click Delete (-).