OS X Mountain Lion: Change the login password
Normally you must type a password to log in to a computer. This is called your “user account password” or “login password.”
When an administrator created your user account, he or she assigned the password, but you can change the password to protect your privacy.
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and then click Users & Groups.
- Click Password, and then click Change Password.
- Enter your current password in the Old Password field.
- Enter your new password in the New Password field, and then enter it again in the Verify field.
For help choosing a secure password, click the Key button next to the New Password field.
- Enter a hint to help you remember the password.
The hint appears if you enter the wrong password three consecutive times in the login window, or if you enter the wrong password three consecutive times when installing software or performing other tasks requiring a password. The hint also appears if you click the question mark in the password field in the login window.
- Click Change Password.
If you forget your login password, there are several techniques for resetting it, as described in this help topic: