OS X Mountain Lion: If you have trouble inserting a CD or DVD
If you can’t insert a CD or DVD, or if the disc is ejected after you insert it, there are several solutions you can try.
- Clean the disc. The drive may eject a disc if it’s dirty.
To clean a CD or DVD, wipe the shiny surface with a soft, damp cloth, working from center to edge.
- Check the surface of the disc for scratches. If it’s scratched, it may be unreadable.
- Try using the disc in another drive to see whether the disc can be read.
- Try to insert another disc in the drive. If you can insert other discs, the disc you originally tried to insert may be damaged.
- If you have an external optical drive, make sure it’s plugged in and turned on. See the documentation that came with the drive for more information.
When handling discs, be careful not to leave fingerprints, place other materials on the discs, or add labels to the discs that may cause them to become unbalanced when spinning. Don’t write on the shiny side of the disc. Instead, write on the side that has a label or other text.